Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Lemon Poppyseed Heart Shaped Sugar Cookies

photos by scott haydon


I am currently obsessed with lemons and poppy seeds. Last week it was a Poppy Seed Lemon Cake. This week I really wanted to bake a lemon poppy seed cut-out sugar cookie. But my internet was down and my choices (read: cookie cookbooks available in apartment) were limited. I ended up looking through my handy Martha Stewart Cookies cookbook and coming up with something I thought I could modify relatively simply. I was right.

This recipe was adapted from this really good recipe.

I ended up with very tasty, somewhat tart, cookies. I made two different sized heart-shaped cookies. The smaller ones I turned into cream cheese frosted sandwiches. Changes I made to the recipe linked above: I used lemon zest instead of lime zest. I used lemon juice and orange juice instead of lime juice. I added 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds. I omitted the powdered sugar topping and made up a quick batch of cream cheese frosting instead.

*freezing the dough in discs before rolling it and cutting it really is a good step - don't skip it!

No comments:

Post a Comment