Monday, February 27, 2012

The Food Matters Project: Baked Casarecce with Brussel Sprouts, Apple & Gruyere

photos by scott haydon



Welcome to the fourth week of the great Food Matters Project. I'm having an excellent time participating in this project. When I first checked out the Food Matters Cookbook from the library all I could think was: oh but it's so basic. Now I see that the very nature of the majority of Mark Bittman's recipes leads to an unfurling of the creative culinary mind. You can see this quite clearly when you look at all of the different directions people participating in this process take when given a single recipe each week.

This week the assigned recipe is Baked Rigatoni with Brussels Sprouts, Figs, and Blue Cheese. You can find the original recipe (and the host for this recipe) here.



This is where I usually list, in a small and careless paragraph, the changes I made to the recipe - linked above!- without giving any kind of ingredient list or directions. I have to tell you that I hate writing out recipes. Mostly because I am lazy. I don't always measure ingredients. And I have a really hard time writing out clear instructions to steps because I don't always pay attention while I'm doing them.

Well, here's my attempt to give to you (in writing!) my version of this tasty recipe:

adapted from The Food Matters Cookbook

8 ounces Lagana casarecce
1 1/2 pounds brussel sprouts, chopped
1/2 cup swiss, shredded
1/2 cup gruyere, shredded
1 granny smith apple, chopped
1 shallot, diced
olive oil
salt
pepper
*1/2 cup gruyere, shredded

Heat oven to 400. Drizzle olive oil in baking dish.
Bring a pot to boil, add salt.
Add pasta and boil for 5 to 6 min, til just tender.
In a separate pan, saute brussel sprouts and shallots with a dash of olive oil.
Drain pasta (reserving some liquid) and return to pot.
Combine brussel sprouts, shallots, apple, and cheese with the pasta.
Drizzle with olive oil and some reserved liquid.
Season with salt and pepper, as needed.
Pour mixture into baking pan.
Bake until bubbling, adding reserved liquid if needed (15 to 20 min).
* I love cheese. So about 15 minutes into baking I sprinkled another 1/2 cup of gruyere on top.

1 comment:

  1. Gruyere and swiss cheese plus the apple... Delicious! I like the sauteed shallots and sprouts too... This gives them flavor before being dumped into the pasta. Yum!

    ReplyDelete