Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Nutella Cheesecake Mousse Brownie.

photo by scott haydon

Scott asked me to make something with Nutella. He didn't really care what. And maybe I went a little overboard but the result was definitely worth it. Prepare to be delighted.


This recipe was adapted from this really good recipe (and this one too).

Brownies -

6 tablespoons butter, chopped into per tablespoon chunks
6 ounces ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips
smattering of ghirardelli milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

Heat oven to 350. Place cupcake wrappers in muffin tins (I ended up with 21 "cupcake" brownies).

In a large glass bowl, set on top of a pot of boiling water, melt/mix the butter and chocolates. When it is melted completely, set aside briefly.

In a mixing bowl blend together the sugar, eggs and vanilla.

When well-combined add the chocolate mixture.

This is where most recipes tell you to have a pre-mixed bowl of dry ingredients ready to blend carefully into the wet ingredients bowl. I never actually do that. I always dump in half the flour, then the baking powder/salt, then the rest of the flour. In most recipes I've never had an issue with this and it's one less bowl that I have to clean later. SO - however you want to do it - add dry to wet, mix well.

Using a large spoon place one spoonful of batter per prepared muffin tin wrapper.

Bake until toothpick comes out with crumbs, but not wet. I baked these brownies for 20 minutes and they were excellent. I'll maybe choose to bake them 18 minutes next time. (I like them a smidge more tender in the middle.)

Lightly press the brownies down with the back of a spoon.

Let the brownies cool completely.

Nutella Cheesecake Whip Cream Topping -

2/3 cup nutella
8 ounces cream cheese (I used neufchatel)
1 tsp vanilla
8 ounces homemade whip cream

In a mixing bowl combine nutella, cream cheese, and vanilla.
Once mixed thoroughly, fold in whip cream.

I'm very classy. So I put my nutella cheesecake whip cream etc etc in a ziplock bag, sealed it, cut a corner and "piped" it onto the cooled brownies.

Chill for a couple of hours then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment