Sunday, June 3, 2012

Raspberry & Almond Muffins




Yesterday I had my first successful baking experience using only almond flour. I have so many friends who are avoiding gluten or following some kind of paleo guideline to eating that it makes sense for me to experiment with gluten free baking. These muffins were meant to be a yummy surprise for a camping trip this weekend but the trip fell through and now I'm sitting at home on a Sunday with a surplus of baked goods. I know what I'll be eating for breakfast.

These muffins are particularly good right out of the oven. The following day they prove to be a bit more oily then I'd like. Next time I make this recipe I am going to try substituting applesauce for the olive oil and I'm also going to combine the fruit with the batter instead of creating separate layers.

This recipe was adapted from this really good recipe.

almond muffin layer

2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
healthy sprinkle of cinnamon and ginger
3 eggs
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup honey

berry layer

2 cups fresh raspberries
1 lemon, zested
1/4 cup honey

Heat the oven to 350. I lined my muffin tin with cupcake liners.

Combine flour with the baking soda, salt and spices. Create a well in the flour mixture and pour in eggs, oil and honey. Mix the wet ingredients in with the dry and set aside.

In a separate bowl mix the raspberries, grated lemon and honey. Place a spoonful of raspberry mixture in each prepared liner. Layer the almond mixture on top of each berry mixture.

Bake until golden brown. About 25 minutes. I had enough berry mixture for 8 muffins and enough batter for 12 muffins. So a few of the muffins are Almond Muffins while the rest are Raspberry Almond Muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment